This week for dinner, Taylor bust out her crepe pan and we had crepe night (Annie, Antonio & Brett, you missed out)! Crepes are amazing — you can put pretty much anything you want in them and they’ll taste delicious. You can fill crepes with savoury fillings, sweet fillings, sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top, make a crepe cake…the possibilities are endless.
We went for two savoury crepes and a couple of sweet combinations and they did not disappoint. One of the savoury crepes was cheddar and apple and the other was spinach, mushrooms and gruyere. Yum. We filled the sweet crepes with a few different fillings — strawberries and cream cheese, blueberries and cream cheese, nutella and strawberries. They were amazing. I mean, the savoury crepes were great, but the sweet ones? WHOA. I’m pretty sure we could all just have sat and eaten the strawberry sauce Mary made. It was that good.
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Sliced apples
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Gruyere, grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
Cream cheese filling:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (8oz.) cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Put crepe batter ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat crepe pan (or non-stick pan) to medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter on to pan in a circular fashion. Make sure to equally spread the batter. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until set.
- Remove from pan and fill with ingredients of your choice. Fold over.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute until thickened. Stir in extract. Once cool, add strawberries.
Cream Cheese filling:
- In a small bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form, set aside. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread nuts on cookie sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Place roasted nuts in food processor and process for 10 minutes. Add sugar and cocoa powder, mix, then add salt. Let it cook. Transfer to jar.
Happy eating, everyone!