Springtime is officially here (sort of, Oregon hasn’t quite picked up on that yet) so we decided to “spring into spring” for this week’s dinner. As always, everything was delicious. Other than our first fondue disaster (Cognac, yuck!) all of our dinners have been amazing. Last night’s was so good it prompted Taylor to say “I love tastebuds!”
We talked about all kinds of random things last night. Normally Taylor will pose some kind of philosophical question for us to think about and answer, but not last night. We discussed the magic of the Spice Girls movie (a cinematic masterpiece), Wishbone, Disney Channel original movies and Boy Meets World. Man, we had a good childhood.
But back to dinner. Some of these dishes are probably more Summery than Spring-y, but they were so good. Taylor wrapped up some salad rolls, Mikel whipped up some exotic peach tea and strawberry lemonade, Nicole made a quiche, Mary threw together a strawberry quinoa salad and I baked up some coconut-blueberry cheesecake bars. YUM.
- Rice paper
- Romaine lettuce
- Rice noodles
- Shredded carrots
- Fried tofu (extra firm), sliced
- Cook the rice noodles and let cool.
- Soak rice paper in warm water to soften. Fill with romaine lettuce, rice noodles, basil, carrots and tofu. Wrap up like a burrito. Serve with hoisin sauce and sriracha.
I don’t have a recipe for Nicole’s quiche, but it had squash, tomatoes and onion in it and it was AMAZING.
Honey Strawberry Quinoa Salad:
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked according to packet directions
- 12 large fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp. slivered almonds
- 1/4 tsp. fresh lime zest
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- Place cooked quinoa, strawberries, scallions and cranberries into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, cinnamon, chili powder, sea salt and pepper. Add dressing to salad; gently toss to combine. Sprinkle slivered almonds and lime zest over salad.
Coconut Blueberry Cheesecake Bars:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup finely crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp. brandy or milk (I used brandy)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- For crust, in a small saucepan heat butter over a medium heat until the colour of light brown sugar. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham crackers, flour, coconut, pecans and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in butter until combined. Evenly press on bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and 2/3 cup sugar on medium until combined. Add eggs, brandy and vanilla. Beat until combined. Pour over hot crust, sprinkle with blueberries.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until centre appears set. Cool in pan on rack. Cover and refrigerate. Cut into bars.
Happy eating, everyone!
Tagged: cheesecake bars, childhood, coconut blueberry cheesecake bars, dinner, food, friday night dinner, friends, fun, honey strawberry quinoa salad, peach tea, quiche, quinoa, salad rolls, spring, strawberry lemonade