After my knee surgery last week, I was craving some healing foods that would provide a source of comfort, and boy did the FND group deliver this week! Good food and lots of laughter with friends is truly the perfect medicine. We discussed sweater vests (guys, don’t do it; most of you can’t pull it off), the little valentine’s cards we used to get in elementary school and played a hilarious game of Cranium — next time, my team won’t lose 😉
It was a wonderful evening, but without any further ado, here are our recipes!
Mac and Peas:
- 1 box macaroni
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 1 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, defrosted
- A few handful sunflower seeds
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, put the water/almond milk, cashews, tahini, olives, nutritional yeast and spices into your blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Drain the pasta and mix with the peas and carrots and sauce. Top with sunflower seeds and cheese (if using). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Fresh greens
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Blood oranges
- Olive oil
- Prepare and toss the greens, mushrooms, nuts, grapefruit, oranges and berries.
- Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil and a drizzle of honey and pour over the salad. Toss.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread:
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan well.
- Cream together the peanut butter and sugar until well combined. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly alternate between adding the milk and the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for one hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out on wire rack and cooling completely.
**We served this bread with some of Taylor’s homemade nutella and it was DELICIOUS. The absolute perfect combination of flavours 🙂
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread nuts on cookie sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Place roasted nuts in food processor and process for 10 minutes. Add sugar and cocoa powder, mix, then add salt. Let it cook.
- Transfer to jar. It will keep for one month in a cool, dark place.
Happy eating, everyone!