As you all know (unless you’ve been living under a rock), the Olympics took place in London this year (Go Team GB!) In honour of this, we had an Olympic-themed dinner while we watched the Opening Ceremony. We had food representing some of the different countries and had a great time celebrating the Olympics, laughing, and watching the Queen arrive by jumping out of a helicopter 🙂
Pigs in A Blanket (Germany):
- Mini hot dogs
- Cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces (optional)
- Caramelized onions (optional)
- 1 large egg
- All-purpose flour (for work surface)
- 1 box puff pastry, thawed
- Mustard & ketchup (for serving)
- Cut hot dogs lengthwise, about 3/4 of the way through if using cheese and onions and place both inside the hot dog. If not, poke the hot dogs a few times with a knife.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll puff pastry into an 11×14 in. rectangle. Cut lengthwise into seven 1 1/2 inch-wide strips. Cut each strip into 4 rectangles.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tbsp. water and set aside. Line baking sheet with parchment paper & place to the side. Place a hot dog on the narrow end of one rectangle of pastry. Roll it up and brush with the egg mixture; place on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining hot dogs, then transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve with mustard and ketchup.
Scampi Pasta (Italy):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 lb. angel-hair pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot, then sauté shrimp, turning once, until just cooked through (about 2 minutes), and transfer with slotted spoon to a bowl. Add garlic to the remaining oil in skillet along with red pepper flakes, white wine, salt and pepper, and cook over high heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add butter to skillet, stirring until melted, and stir in shrimp. Remove skillet from heat.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, then drain pasta. Toss pasta well into the shrimp mixture and parsley in a large bowl, adding some of the reserved water if needed to keep moist.
Guacamole & Chips (Mexico):
- 3 avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl, place the avocado and lime juice, toss. Drain and reserve lime juice after avocados have been coated.
- Add the salt, cumin, and cayenne, and mash. Fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tbsp. reserved lime juice. Let sit for 1 hour and serve with tortilla chips.
Coffee Cake (England):
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup Golden syrup
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. coffee powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 tbsp. coffee essence
- Place sugar, margarine and syrup into a saucepan and heat gently until the ingredients are well mixed together and the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Sieve flour and coffee powder together into a bowl.
- Beat the egg and milk together and add to the cooled syrup mixture.
- Pour egg/syrup mixture into the flour and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 7″ cake pan and cook at 375°F for 20-25 minutes
- Cream the butter until soft and gradually beat in the confectioner’s sugar.
- Add the coffee essence to the mixture.
- ***This is supposed to be a very stiff frosting, so I usually have to add more sugar than the recipe says.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost the top of the cake.
- Arrange M&M’s in shape of Olympic rings on cake.
Extra English Treats:
Cheese straws, Chupa Chups lollipops, Cadbury’s Fingers, Assorted Toffees & Eclairs, Union Jack Rock