The second FND was a Mexican Fiesta! My favourite thing about Mexican food is the colours. From guacamole and different kinds of salsas to tacos and enchiladas every colour under the rainbow can be on your plate.
This was such a fun dinner for all of us. We met at a local park, chowed down on some delicious homemade Mexican food, laughed and talked. To finish off a wonderful evening we went into downtown Portland and went to Moonstruck Chocolates where we sipped on some awesome Mexican Hot Chocolate 🙂
Try your hand at some of the dishes we made and if you have any suggestions, let us know!
Enchiladas (makes 8):
- 8 burrito sized tortillas
- 2 onions
- cooking oil
- couple of cloves of garlic
- 1 sm. can diced green chilies
- desired amount of diced jalapeños
- 16 oz. Mexican blend cheese
- Lg. can green enchilada sauce
- On medium heat, sauté chopped onions and garlic with some salt and pepper for 10-15 minutes.
- Fill tortillas with a couple of spoonfuls of onions, desired amounts of chilies and jalapeños and a handful of cheese.
- Roll enchiladas and place in a baking pan.
- Pour sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle some cheese on top.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted on the inside and beginning to brown on top.
- Serve with your favourite salsa or sour cream!
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- Half a red onion (chopped)
- 2-3 handfuls of grape tomatoes (halved)
- Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- Saw the corn off the cob–uncooked!
- Add the corn, beans, onions and tomatoes to a bowl. Stir in the cumin and salt and squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add the cilantro and stir.
- Top with the sliced avocado and enjoy!
- 1 mango–peeled, sliced and diced
- 1 avocado–peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the mango, avocado, tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in salt, lime juice, red onion and olive oil.
- To blend the flavours, refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
- 4 avocados
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, minced
- 1 ripe Roma tomato, seeded, diced
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded (if desired), diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel, pit and gently mash all but one of the avocados with lemon juice in a bowl, leaving some chunks.
- Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- Peel, pit and dice remaining avocado. Fold into the guacamole.
Enjoy these recipes and send us some of your own!